RDC-X Execom eyes Region X’s Global Competitiveness with MCT as Principal Port of Entry

Sep 30, 2014

by

 

The Executive Committee of the Regional Development Council for Region X (RDC-X) aims to ramp up  the region’s global competitiveness with its recent endorsement of the Mindanao Container Terminal (MCT) as a “Principal Port of Entry.”

 

Customs Collection by Port, Region X 2012-2013

 

In its position paper presented by the Philippine Exporters Confederation for Region 10 (PhilExport) to the RDC-X during its 104th Executive Committee Meeting held 24 September 2014 at the NEDA/RDC Main Conference Room, the Phividec Industries Association cited how the MCT has evolved into a modern, world-class port under the aegis of the PHIVIDEC Industrial Authority since it was declared a Sub-port of entry through Executive Order No. 542 on 14 July 2006, spurring economic activity in Northern Mindanao and the adjacent areas.

 

The Macro Committee chaired by Mambajao Mayor Ma. Luisa D. Romualdo sought RDC-X support and endorsement to the Bureau of Customs (BOC) Office of the Commissioner “to declare the MCT as a ‘Principal Port of Entry’ and provide therein a full complement of BOC Staff under a District Port Collector to ensure administrative efficiency at the MCT, and immediate response of the BOC to the needs of the importers and exporters operating at MCT.

 

MCT

 

At present, the MCT is classified as a sub-port of the Cagayan de Oro base port, thus the absence of plantilla positions at the MCT as staff are mostly detailed from the Cagayan de Oro base port where ship calls by foreign vessels are minimal.

 

The PhilExport/PIA paper cited how PhP 4.969 billion or 85 percent of the Php 5.910 Billion Total Revenue collected by the Bureau of Customs in Region X (BOC-10) for calendar year 2012, was contributed by MCT Sub-Port (MCT-SP).

 

This increased further to PhP 5.76-billion in 2013 and 86 percent of BOC-10’s total collections of PhP 6.688-billion for CY 2013 with the remaining 14 percent shared by PPA Port of Cagayan de Oro, Iligan and Ozamiz Ports. (NEDA Region 10: Regional Economy Situationer Report 2013 with Comparative data of CY 2012.)

 

Customs Collection by Port, Region X, 2013

 

For CY 2014, the Sub Port Collector reported during the latest RDC-X Macro Committee meeting held last 05 August 2014 at NEDA office that MCT-SP has been tasked to collect 87 percent of the Total Revenue target of District 10.

 

“Cargo throughput and ship calls have been consistently increasing in the past years, thus, MCT-Sub Port takes pride in being the number one contributor to the Bureau of Customs’  Revenue Collection in District 10,” said Engr. Augustus N. Adis, PME, president of the PHIVIDEC Industries Association. “ With the advent of the ASEAN Economic Community next year (AEC 2015), the MCT would be a key logistics hub to cater to wider trade opportunities in the ASEAN region.”

 

Declaring the MCT as a principal port, and rebranding it underscores the important role of the MCT in the region’s goal of becoming a major gateway domestically and internationally, he added.

 

As a  Principal Port of Entry, MCT would have a full complement of BOC Staff under a District Port Collector which should ensure administrative efficiency  in customs collections and attending to the needs of the importers and exporters.

 

 

-30-

Share this Post: